Shea Serrano, New York Times bestselling author and staff writer at The Ringer, came on the pod to chat about his strategy for his latest book ‘Movies (And Other Things),’ the pros and cons of selling independently vs. through a publisher, how the late DJ Screw inspired his promotional tactics.
We also talked about Shea’s “Fuck Outta Here” army fanbase, rappers who fumbled the bag with Fast & Furious franchise, why The Ringer CEO Bill Simmons is the plug, and his Top Five rappers.
- Book: Movies (and Other Things) – Shea Serrano (2019)
- PDF: Conference Room, Five Minutes – Shea Serrano (2018) – independently released
- Book: Basketball (and Other Things) – Shea Serrano (2017)
- Book: The Rap Year Book – Shea Serrano (2015)
- Book: Bun B’s Rapper Coloring Book and Activity Book – Shea Serrano (2013)
- Podcast: Mathew Knowles on Beyonce’s Streaming Strategy, Solange’s Marketing, and Dinner with Jay Z or $50,000? – Trapital
Hip-hop’s influence continues to grow. Take your insights to the next level. Learn more about Trapital.
Photo (Michael Stravato / NYT)
Stay informed on what matters in hip-hop. Get Trapital in your inbox.
Trapital is written by Dan Runcie: info [at] trapital.co